Afghan security forces kill al Qaeda's second in command Abu Muhsin al-Masri, two years after the US listed him as one of the world's most wanted terrorists
- Abu Muhsin al-Masri was killed in a raid in Afghanistan's Ghazni province
- Al-Masri was the second in command of al Qaeda, it is believed
- His death was confirmed by U.S. counter-terrorism forces in a tweet Saturday
Afghan security forces have killed Abu Muhsin al-Masri, a senior al Qaeda leader who was on the FBI's Most Wanted Terrorists list, Afghanistan's National Directorate of Security (NDS) said in a tweet late on Saturday.
The head of the U.S. National Counter-Terrorism Center, Chris Miller, confirmed al-Masri's death in a statement, saying his 'removal... from the battlefield is a major setback to a terrorist organization that is consistently experiencing strategic losses facilitated by the United States and its partners.'
Al Qaeda's loss of al-Masri, Miller continued, 'highlights the diminishing effectiveness of the terrorist organization.'

Abu Muhsin al-Masri, second in command of al Qaeda, has been killed in Afghanistan

Al-Masri has been charged in the United States with having provided material support and resources to a foreign terrorist organization, and conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals.
Al-Masri, believed to be al Qaeda's second-in-command, was killed during a special operation in Ghazni province, the NDS said.
The FBI declined to comment.
The al Qaeda operative, who also went by the name Husam Abd-al-Ra'uf, was an Egyptian national, according to the FBI.
Last month, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said fewer than 200 al Qaeda operatives remain in Afghanistan.
This month marks 19 years since the United States invaded Afghanistan to topple the Taliban rulers, who had harbored al Qaeda militants who attacked the United States on September 11, 2001.
The United States has been gradually drawing down its troops from Afghanistan after striking a landmark deal with the Taliban in February.

Afghan forces killed al-Masri in Ghazni province, it was confirmed
That deal is set to see foreign forces leave Afghanistan by May 2021 in exchange for counterterrorism guarantees from the Taliban, which agreed to negotiate a permanent ceasefire and a power sharing formula with the Afghan government.
The intra-Afghan peace process kicked off in Doha last month. Despite the talks, fighting between Taliban and Afghan government forces has raged in recent weeks.
Last week, U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad said the Taliban had agreed to 're-set' their commitments under a troop withdrawal deal and reduce the number of casualties in the country.
Most watched News videos
- Convicted murderer tries to attack her defense attorney in court
- Russell Brand thanks supporters after being accused of rape
- Hot air balloon with tourists on board crashes in Dubai
- Morning Joe anchor claims Obama made Clooney write op-ed
- Bill Murray lashed out at fan who 'attacked him' inside theater
- Drunk tourist dances after car crash
- Instant karma for man who yanks crocodile by the tail
- Trump shares video of attack on Houthis on Truth Social
- Woman left injured after cow tramples her in rorrifying attack
- Adorable chihuahua finds new home after abandonment by former owner
- Trump forced to abandon helicopter on way to Florida golf club
- New surveillance videos shows the night Sebastian Rogers went missing